Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: SOLOTHUS (Fin) Ritual of the Horned Skull. Demo tape out now! Death doom.
Metal Area - Extreme Music Portal > News Area / Новости > Global News > Promotion
gabalgabow
SOLOTHUS (Fin) Ritual of the Horned Skull. Demo tape out now!

DOOM ON YOU!
The first demo of finnish Death doom band SOLOTHUS is now released on tape
with a bonus unreleased song, on Nihilistic Holocaust recs.
Expect 20 minutes of 90's Death doom, with traditional doom influences.

Listen:

Released as a black tape, with a cover on beige paper.
Available against 2 Euros + postage from this webshop:
https://nihilisticholocaust.bigcartel.com

More infos:
http://nihilistic.voila.net/Label/moreinfo...os_solothus.htm

Other release available for trade or sale:
-ALTARS (Australia)/ HEAVING EARTH (Cze) Split tape. Dark and twisted Death metal.
-WRITHING (Usa)/ AD PATRES (Fra) Split tape. Fast, kicking and darkened Death metal.
-HERPES (Fra) Doomsday Demo CDr. Morbid Death metal influenced by Autopsy, with Death breath and early Death touches...
-NERLICH (Fin) Innards Demo tape. 4 tracks of Death metal from the grave!

gabsk(a)wanadoo.fr
http://nihilistic.voila.net

gabalgabow
gabalgabow
Hello,

The first reviews are coming:

VOICES FROM THE DARKSIDE Webzine (Ger)
I don't want to give anyone the wrong idea; I'm probably never going to grow up. I like my Death Metal riddled with enough blast beats to send me into a helicopter hair-twirling frenzy and seek the sweatiest, most teenager filled most pit I can find. There comes a point in time, however, where I gotta wash the pizza stains off my ripped, light-wash jeans and enjoy a good Death Metal album with a healthy injection of Doom. Hailing from Finland, SOLOTHUS demonstrates the virtue in Death Metal slowing the hell down (somewhat) and creating a little atmosphere. This demo is bass heavy and full of riffs yet it lends itself nicely as the soundtrack for lurking or stalking someone on a late night walk more than for the climactic end to a demolition derby (and that's a good thing). The heaviness comes from the overt to the subtle. The opening riff to the final song on the demo, 'Darkness Gathers Here At Night', is ominous and paves the way for a variety of tempo changes, rumbling bass lines and crystal clear guitar solos. Everyone gets their chance to showboat but only just the right amount as each part seems to contribute to the bigger picture; the demo is a lurking journey into a symbiotic marriage between Death and Doom Metal that I find so utterly refreshing. It's not so much about finding new and novel ways to be heavy, but to use the best of both genres to get you there. Give SOLOTHUS a listen, especially if you like HOODED MENACE, who not surprisingly were their 2012 tour mates. Angelica Jannone

LACERATED METAL Blog
Last year I had the pleasure to carry the burden of Finnish death/doom monstrosities Solothus' ''Ritual Of The Horned Skull'' EP, and endeavor I felt was one of the better death/doom interpretations of the last 4-5 years with bustling, semi-cavernous index and busy, climatic riffs that were placed in sort of the milieu of primitive death/doom circa 1989-1994 and a more established, polished offering of the same sub-genre that was substantially upgraded and polished by late to mid 90's connoisseurs Runemagick, Paradise Lost, etc, and even more modern projects of melodious, cavern-dwelling disembowelment projects like Hooded Menace or Coffins - a certainly copious range of macabre influences that all have their places secured in a gnostic burial ground near the local cemetery. Yet, there will undoubtedly be a handful of scoffers, demanding to know what the Finns have to top their already prodigious predecessors which have spawned in the last 5 years or so.
Yes, Solothus are nothing quite out of the ordinary, bearing minor contrast only thanks to their larger intake of Runemagick influences, but there's much more to this hillock of bones than the eye meets.

As I stated, Solothus' entire bevy of groove-laden riffs fall somewhere between the more ''epic'' and edgy facet of death/doom and the more grotesque, and veritable churning of melodic exhibitions delivered through a manifest of horrendous old school depictions. Solothus are simply fantastically authentic, equating the masterful measure of doom, gloom and harmony into one versatile, bone-laced package, with an unrelenting undercurrent of vulgarity seething underneath it all. There's an elephantine slurry; a punching, ghastly monster of a tone that splashes around wildly in accordance to the medium tempo of the bruising drums, and like on ''A Call To War'', the band injects minor dozes of clamorous, distorted chords which instantly render the orchestration a morbidly defiant serpentine, belching bile and vomit as it stampedes. The songs are all shrewdly arranged; they're not stretched into drudging funeral doom epics of over 7 minutes; they're kept at the optimum length of about 4-5 minutes, and Solothus are obviously more keen in conversing at mid-tempo gait than turtle-slowness. They also tend to stick to a lesser flock of riffs than many of their peers incline to do, supposedly to turn the whole experience into a more absorbing one, but Solothus exceed many of their counterparts in both quality and distribution, each song a successful homage to sweltering death and doom.

Simply put, the Finns are more enthralling than the majority of their cavern-dwelling peers, deeply punging into the macabre without weaving superfluous quantities of complexities while doing so, and simply keeping the listener at bay throughout 20 minutes by continuously craving similar but very enjoyable, grooving riffs. Undeniably, there could have been a tidbit of more variation to embody an even more gruesome manifest of horror, but I'm still hardly malcontent with my current reservoir. The first two songs, ''A Call To War'' and ''Throne Of Bones'' mostly represented what the band's savager ideas clustered around, but ''Embrace Of Cold'', and even more so, ''Darkness Gathers Here At Night'', were fully turning on the more melodious inflection on, and barely Gothic interpretations made tangible with the use of vibrant, fibrous collections of melody, so they're definitely heading for a more solemn and harmonious approach; something quite akin to Hooded Menace and what they achieved with their latest full-length. Well, these Finns have captured the true grooving essence of old school death/doom, a horrific congealment of bones and mourn, so a full-length will definitely be welcome.

Trades are possible.

Bye,
G

gabalgabow
Hello,

The distribution of the tape occurs well, I'll reach 100 copies soon.

Otherwize, here's a new review:
RICE FACTORY Blog
Solothus is very dark and at the same time have really deep gloomy feeling in this tape. To make this even better, they injected some death metal element, and they did it very well. I like it very much, I must say. This tape is actually a collection of previously release track in their 2011's demo except for Called To War which is taken from a split that never release. Personally, the best track to me is Embrace The Cold where the music is very organic, and the last part of this track is the best part with the great riff and solos filled the song. This Finnish band had a bright future and shows them your support!

Those who want to learn more about the band can still read an interview I did:
http://nihilistic.voila.net/Interviews/solothus.htm

Bands, labels, trades are posible,
get in touch: gabsk(a)wanadoo.fr

Bye,
Gabriel
gabalgabow
Hello,

Three new reviews of the SOLOTHUS tape have appeared:

NOCTURNAL CULT Webzine (Usa)
Finland has long been known for quality doom death metal bands from the likes of Hooded Menace to the godly Thergothon. The latest entity to carry on this proud tradition is the macabre and subterranean Solothus. This release is a combination of their 3 song demo and a track from an unreleased split. A Call To War pounds forward like a zombified gorilla, riffs full of rotten muscles and I am reminded of God Cries era Asphyx. The riffs slow and become more forlorn. Then the monolithic chugging guitars rise and batter your ear drums.
Putrid sorrow permeates the opening riffs of Throne Of Bones. An epic quality possesses the dismal melodies that drift in across the foundation of old school death riffs. The vocals are grim and necrotic. My favorite track is Embrace The Cold with its ominous echoing bass guitar that pulses with dread. A true funeral doom flow and oppressive atmosphere crushes all listeners as the song trudges along in its slothful momentum. The lumbering, ropey bass line continues on Darkness Gathers Here At Night. A guitar solo that would make Gregor Mackintosh proud wails out like a baleful banshee before the song creeps into, long languid riffs that are accented by shades of despair. Solothus creates some decidedly anguished doom death that is both morbid and crushing. The songs are draped in funeral shrouds stained with the molding decay of fetid corpses. This is true, underground doom DEATH.

LORDS OF METAL Webzine (Hol)
Solothus hails from Finland, and is a band from the doom world almost knows anything about. They released a heavily limited cd-r demo last year, and Nihilistic Holocaust now re-releases the demo, but with an extra unreleased track, on cassette in a larger circulation of, hold on to your chairs, 200 copies. But the good news is that Spanish label Memento Mori will be releasing Solothus' debut album later this year. On to the music. Many will call this death doom, but to me it will remain epic doom with a grunt. Nothing wrong with that, because the doom Solothus delivers is very well done and it isn't surprising at all that Raúl has signed the gentlemen. Opener and previously unreleased track 'A Call To War' immediately sets the tone. Lingering epic doom with a cesspool grunt to it. The other three songs do not deviate from this blueprint. The four songs are well thought out and show that the gentlemen have their doom hearts in the right place. No trendy gothicy doom posturing. But doom such as doom is meant to be to me. Solothus are absolutely a band to keep an eye on. 82/100

NIHILIST Blog
Ultimamente la mayoria de bandas estan optando por tocar death/doom metal al viejo estilo y es de admirar como algunas logran un perfecto balance entre la brutalidad/armonia que este genero representa. Solothus es una banda joven, proveniente de las heladas tierras de Finlandia con solo mencionar ese pais uno se puede hacer la idea de lo que la banda ofrece siempre y cuando sea en el ámbito de lo extremo y underground. Estos tipos presentaron este demo en 2011 captando la atención de unos cuantos, ejecutan un Death/Doom Metal muy añejo, muy clásico, muy retro. "Ritual of The Horned Skull" tiene por influencias a Bolt Thrower, Saint Vitus, Cathedral etc. Si bien el demo no tiene ese sonido a "garage" estos tipos han sabido utilizar muy bien la tecnologia, guitarras distorsionadas, voz gutural, las lineas del bajo muy pesadas que junto con los tempos lento de bateria logran una brutalida y armonia excelentes. Solothus representa muy bien al genero con este demo, la banda esta próxima a grabar su album debut y esperemos que sea sorprendente como lo es este demo, material lúgubre para gustos extremos. 9/10

Don't miss your chance to become cadaveric and tentacular,
order a copy of the tape here:
http://nihilisticholocaust.bigcartel.com/

2 Euros + postage only!

Bye,
Gabriel
gabalgabow

Old fashioned videomancy:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=p9tiQthFU_Q
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.