11. Now or never 05:29
Total playing time: 49:26

BAND:
Vocals : Peter Diersmann
Guitars : Cagge
Guitars : Rainer Rage (S.D.I.)
Bass : Christian Meyer
Drums : Marc Könneke

ENOLA GAY, the name of the fateful plane that dropped the first atomic bomb in the history of mankind, is also the name of one explosive metal band. Enola Gay formed in 1987 although it took 8 years before the bands was offered a record deal and released their debut album. The band has toured with such bands as Iced Earth, Nevermore, Stratovarius and Grave Digger.
"F.O.T.H." is Enola Gay's debut release and is pure German power metal. On this release they were not overly melodic or saturated with keyboards. They were also not what I would describe as progressive metal. Rather, "F.O.T.H." is real heavy metal similar to bands like Vicious Rumors, Metal Church or early Rage. "F.O.T.H." sports memorable guitar riffs, well executed guitar solos, thick guitar and bass tones, pounding drums, and aggressive, yet melodic vocals. Vocalist Peter Diersmann is actually one of the things I enjoy so much about this band. His vocals are mostly clean and mid-rage, but are passionate and aggressive. For the most part the songs are all heavy although there are some mellower moments. "Never Be Without A Friend" is a melodic, acoustic ballad that is quite emotional and features some nice Thin Lizzy style dual guitar leads. The very next song brings back the aggression with one of the album's heaviest tracks. "Doomwatch" is a fast, double bass driven, speed metal number that has a similar vibe to Accept's "Fast as a Shark". There are a few other songs that have the double bass backbone, such as album closer "Kingdom of the Light", but overall the heavier songs are more mid-paced, traditional heavy metal.

I believe "Kingdom of the Light" is actually a bonus track on the Japanese version even though it's not listed as such. From what I can gather from the few internet sites I could find Enola Gay on, the German CD version contains eleven tracks with the intro being track one and "Fly of the Handle" being track two. The Japanese version also has eleven tracks, but the intro is part of "Fly Off the Handle". The songs are incorrectly listed on the back of the Japanese CD.

[ Hidden Text ]