Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Ozric Tentacles - Spirals In Hyperspace (2004)
Metal Area - Extreme Music Portal > Releases Area / Релизы > New Releases > Unformat R:
StabWound

*Artist: Ozric Tentacles
*Album: Spirals In Hyperspace
*Year: 2004
*Genre: Psychedelic/Space Rock/Instrumental
*Format: flac@953kbps
*Size: 484MB

Tracklist:
1. Chewier (5:26)
2. Spirals in Hyperspace (9:51)
3. Slinky (8:39)
4. Toka Tola (7:46)
5. Plasmoid (5:17)
6. Oakum (9:03)
7. Akasha (7:27)
8. Psychic Chasm (8:44)
9. Zoemetra (7:23)
Total playing time: 1:09:36

Extended info
Line-up / Musicians

- Ed / guitar, keyboards, mind colours, programming
- Schoo / drums (1,6,9)
- Seaweed / synthesizers & bubbles (6), kindling (1)
- John / Ney, Blul, Duduk & Silver flute (6,9)
- Zia / bass (6)
- Merv Pepler / drum programming & Samp-S'N'Stuff (8)
- Brandi Wynne / Glide bass (1), Spikes (5), Tea (8)
- Steve Hillage & Miquette Giraudi / guitar & additional synthesizers (7)
Releases information

CD: Magna Carta-MA 9067-2-USA-2004

Ozric Tentacles biography;
OZRIC TENTACLES are simply put, legends of the UK underground. Inspired by a myriad of musical genres and musicians from Kraut-rockers KRAAN to guitar maestro Steve VAI, from ethnic Arabic to electronic techno, from HENDRIX to HILLAGE. OZRIC TENTACLES' music is a fusion of sounds, styles and genres that cannot be categorized nor plagiarized, such is its complexity.

The essence of the OZRIC TENTACLES remains essentially a free-willed musical unit oblivious to fashion trends and intent on exploring instrumental experimental music with an obsessive zeal. Formed in the early eighties, the Ozrics began life as a free-form psychedelic vehicle for jamming, attracting a dedicated fan-base at grassroots level by playing at all the free festivals to fans of space-rock, dub, psychedelia, and later on when the festivals had developed into raves, to fans of house and techno. Having then developed their own cottage industry - studio, label, tour bus, dedicated following - the Ozrics eventually achieved top ten album status in the UK with their 1993 album "Jurassic Shift". It was, and still is, an astonishing accomplishment for a band with no celebrity status, and no major record label backing.

To date, the band have released 20 albums, a vast body of music that is both complex and fascinating in its scope and vision. The new live double album, "Pongmasters Ball" was recorded at their sold-out show at London's Shepherds Bush Empire earlier this year. The DVD of this show will be released in September. OZRIC TENTACLES are: Ed WYNNE (guitar, keyboards) - John EGAN (flute, vocals) - PAZZA (bass) - SEAWEED(keyboards) - SCHOO (drums, percussion).

I received this CD one day after it was released, and I have to say the wait for a brand new album was finally over! Back in the fall of 2000, they released their last studio effort, "The Hidden Step". Hard to believe that Rad was still in the group then. Since that time, Rad (in early 2001), and then later on (in late 2002) Zia left. New drummer Schoo (Stuart Fisher) and new bassist Pazza (Paul Godfrey) came in. Through the 2001- 2002 time period, they tied us over with a live EP entitled "Pyramidion" (with the title track being a new studio cut), a fan-club issued single called "Oakum" released in the fall of 2001, and then the "Live at the Pongmasters Ball/ CD (which also became available on DVD).

Well, I guess the band was under financial strain, and although they supposedly mended their relationship with Snapper Music, they apparently couldn't stay with them, so they found a label called Magna Carta (a label that seems to have too many KING CRIMSON side projects, DREAM THEATER clones, and PINK FLOYD and GENESIS tribute albums) to release their new album. Originally to be entitled "Toka Tola", it was retitled "Spirals in Hyperspace" and I'm glad it was released!

I was disappointed that this wasn't going to be an Ed, Seaweed, Pazza, Schoo, and John album, but essentially an Ed solo album (with only the occasional OZRIC member contributing, and Pazza nowhere to be found). But the minute I heard this album, all my suspicions flew out the window. While it's mostly just Ed on guitar, synths, and drum machines, this comes to prove how much of the OZRIC sounds came from him. You got the techno-like "Chewier" (with Schoo and Ed's wife Brandi Wynne helping out), maybe not the best piece on the album. Then you have the totally amazing title track, all Ed here, with many of the passages bearing more of a passing resemblance to "Waterfall Cities". "Slinky" is a mainly laid-back piece with nice spacy synthesizers and lots of simple synth melodies that are quite effective. "Toka Tola" is bound to be a new concert favorite, perhaps the album's real high point, going through different changes. "Oakum" was that 2001 fan-club issued single, now available to the whole public, and given the time of recording, no surprise it Ed, Zia, Schoo, Seaweed, and John all participating.

You might know the version off "Live at the Pongmasters Ball" (which I thought was superior), this studio version is arranged a bit differently, less synth solos, but many of the passages are still recognizable. "Akasha" is a spacy techno-like piece with none other than Steve HILLAGE and Miquette Giraudy helping out! Many people wondered what an OZRIC album would sound like with them on it, now they got their wish! To be honest, I can't tell what is Ed's guitar and synth work, or Steve's guitar work and Miquette's synth work. Then they get in to more experimental territory with "Psychic Chasm" (with the help of EAT STATIC member and ex-OZRIC Merv, which I'm glad to see, since "Arborescence" was their last album with him on it), and "Zoemetra" (where Schoo and John makes an appearance again). It's almost getting tiring reviewing an OZRIC album, since I have not found one album that disappointed me from them. More great stuff certain to keep the fans happy!

[ Hidden Text ]
Desperacja
Интересная штука, кстати... Спасибо за качество.
Daeril
cbr320

[ Hidden Text ]
Rotten Goat
есть вся дискография этой группы, ранние альбомы лучше
sperminator
[ Hidden Text ]
vosmidesijatye
ЦИТАТА(Rotten Goat @ Jan 18 2010, 17:19:48) *
ранние альбомы лучше

Все верно, тот же Erpsongs круче любого их релиза начиная с 1990-го и по сей день. bye.gif
thenecromancer
From web - 320kbps/167Mb
[ Hidden Text ]
mittal
ЦИТАТА(vosmidesijatye @ 21st December 2022 - 20:21:04) *
Все верно, тот же Erpsongs круче любого их релиза начиная с 1990-го и по сей день

Нет, этот альбом самый лучший и его уже не удастся переплюнуть. Шедевр, проверенный временем.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.