Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Gaë Bolg And The Church Of Fand - La Ballade De L'Ankou (2002)
Metal Area - Extreme Music Portal > Releases Area / Релизы > New Releases > Unformat R:
karddra

*Artist: Gaë Bolg And The Church Of Fand
*Album: La Ballade De L'Ankou
*Year: 2002
*Genre: Epic Neofolk/Martial Industrial/Medieval Music
*Format: mp3@VBR262kbps
*Size: 86MB

Tracklist:
1 La veuve 6:08
2 Testament 5:14
3 Danse 4:39
4 Prière pour le roi mort 5:24
5 Morz trai ton cor 2:49
6 Cérémonial 4:21
7 La meute 5:07
8 Les adieux du lépreux 12:01
Total playing time: 45:43

Extended info
очень необычная и мощная штука. штука при этом довольно красивая и очень эпичная.
я во всяких Martial Industrial не разбираюсь, но не ожидал, что услышу что-то мелодичное.
вокалист напоминает немного вокалиста Arcturus.

"INCREDIBLE

Martial Industrial songs are often repetitive. Is repetitiveness a flaw? Usually - yes, but when artist wants to create an amazing atmosphere, it can help. Typically when we say "repetitive" we mean "boring", but in this case, it means "epically atmospheric". To create such atmosphere is the aim of many martial industrial artists. Gaë Bolg and the Church of Fand is, along with Kreuzweg Ost, the first artist in this genre I heard. It's still my favorite and I feel that it will never change. Eric's music is otherworldly and "othertimely".

#1 La veuve - The widow
Starts creepy with a noise/drone intro and horns in the background. It's a time traveling experience. After a while the travel is over and you're in medieval France along marching knights. This is how Martial Industrial should sound like: powerful and repetitive march with atmospheric horns/trumpets and neofolky acoustic guitar. The vocals remind me La masquerade infernale by Arcturus. Is Eric Roger Kristoffer Rygg's grand-grand-grand-grand-grand-grand-grand-grand-grand-grand-grand-grand-grand-grand-grand-grand-grand-grand-grand-father from France? Cool. This song really impressed me. One of the very best songs I heard this year.

#2 Testament
I was expecting the same formula as in the first song, but I was quickly proved wrong. This song is less industrial and more neofolky. Brass instrument is still present at the beginning, but there's only few industrial-esque drums throughout the whole song. This song takes you into the medieval French woods. Keyboards create anxious atmosphere, but the choruses are what I love most. Pure neofolk at its best.

#3 Danse - Dance
Once again, I'm surprised. This time at the vocals. They sound totally different, but definitely not worse. As if the lyrics where sung by a very old Jew emulating old Polish ladies from the countryside. I don't like dancing, but this dance is brilliant. When I'm listening to this song, I feel as if I were in the French inn full of freaky and magical creatures.

#4 Priere pour le roi mort - Prayer for the Dead King
Apart from great martial melodies and perfect vocals, which are present on the whole album, selling points of the song include male choir and a flute. I never pray, but I will repeat this prayer every night. It's like marching to war for death. I wish I could understand the lyrics...

#5 Morz trai ton cor
Gaë Bolg always surprises. Bells! I love the sound of bells. Choirs! Mixed choir is epic! Epic. Epic. Epic. I agree with raelz this album is one of the few things that deserve this word. Epic! Epic! Epicness. Powerful music that creates real images if you close your eyes.

#6 Cérémonial
Every song is different (if you can appreciate martial industrial and neofolk of course). This one contains some polyphonic vocals and snare drums. However, if I had to chose the worst song on the album, I'd pick this one. "the worst" is a bad term, though. "the least best" would be better. The only one which gets 4.5/5 instead of 5

#7 La meute - The Pack
Another incredible song. A perfect mixture of acoustic neofolk with some flute melodies, martial industrial rhythms, medieval-sounding brass and French lyrics. Probably the most representative song of the album. If you want one tune to try, pick this one.

#8 Les adieux du lépreux - The Farewell of Lepers
2 minutes of heavy drone-esque keyboard riffing and shrill organs.
+
2 minutes of keyboards and high operatic male vocals from the medieval church.
+
2 minutes of martial drums, horns, violins and the vocals.
+
30 seconds of a break
+
1.5 minutes of martial drums, horns and the vocals
+
4 minutes of a bit more modern sounding martial industrial progressively changing into cacophonous noise.
=
Epic song that takes you back to the modern times.

This is how the journey ends. An epic journey to the medieval France. The end of the ballad of the Ankou - the henchman of the Death.

All songs are diverse, yet the whole album is consistent. It's the first time I hear an album that creates such an exceptional atmosphere. It's the first time I hear such a prodigious martial industrial album. It's the first I really regret I'm learning German instead of French. La ballade de l'Ankou is flawless, interesting and mercurial. I DIG IT! I have no doubt what rating does it deserve."

(с) Miklak

[ Hidden Text ]
Old Vyaine
вот чОрт меня дёрнул доп. инфу почитать... 1488.gif
karddra
QUOTE(Old Vyaine @ Feb 2 2010, 01:05:35) *
вот чОрт меня дёрнул доп. инфу почитать... 1488.gif

а что там не так)?
Old Vyaine
да я бы с чистой совестью мимо прошёл))

но нет! -
QUOTE(DrakarD @ 2nd February 2010 - 00:48:31) *
очень необычная и мощная штука. штука при этом довольно красивая и очень эпичная

karddra
я думал, что ты про "многобуквенность", что пришлось осиливать.

а ваще - ну да. как-то так =)
но при этом я выше твердой 8ки поставить не могу пока что (так что в случае чего не пинать за то, что я испортил тебе лучший вечер в твоей жизни). но в целом очень приятно, сильно и необычно - этого не отнять. да и разнообразно довольно (хоть матриал индастриал и предполагает обычно зацикленность и монотонность. об этом правильно написано под катом).

уже 3й раз слушаю. альбом действительно дельный.

хотя некоторые мои виртуальные знакомые иностранцы гораздо больший пиетет испытывают
Old Vyaine
QUOTE(DrakarD @ 2nd February 2010 - 01:18:20) *
лучший вечер в твоей жизни

ты меня так не пугай fear.gif если лучший вечер в моей жизни проходит под аккомпанемент головной боли, воспоминаний о проблемах на работе и без пива, то каков же тогда будет худший?

засмотрим, заслушаем

karddra
Eric Roger (Sol Invictus) - все инструменты, вокал pray.gif pray.gif pray.gif

а я и не знал даже.

люблю некоторые альбомы SI (точнее просто нравятся. люблю лишь несколько треков). но особенно люблю кавер от Agalloch smile1.gif

vam1972
Альбом, включающий в себя и martial (Testament ), и neo folk (Danse). По настроениям - от апокалиптического ужаса (La veuve) и неотвратимости гибели всего
(Prière pour le roi mort) до маленьких радостей от того, что человек еще жив (тот же Danse). По подаче - обилие различных инструментов, хоров, довольно разнообразный ритмический рисунок, богатое звучание. Если альбом чуть более сух в передаче настроений (по сравнению с ранними релизами), то он с лихвой искупает это мастерской записью и сведЕнием.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.