metal-archives Blair Witch
sumeriarising
named after the movie?
Anastasiel
Who knows +)
dermarsoran
[ Hidden Text ]
ChinaWouch
great choice here DTM, especially as far as provoking discussion. Few films are as disagreed about as this.

The Blair Witch Project is not like other films of its time and it is more of an event than a film in the first place anyway. I dont own it on DVD simply because my memories of this film is not its content, but its cultural hype and my reaction to it all. This was what made William Castle a legend and horror needed this kick in the butt as a genre along with Sixth Sense, which came out the same year...it really followed in Castles tradition.

Blair Witch required an imagination and required that you dont consciously believe its real, but that you tell yourself that youre going in to enjoy it and believe it as much as possible. If you enjoy horror for what it is thats generally your goal anyway. Horror films dont exist as a challenge not to be scared...Ive said this many times before, but believing that the horror is real intentionally is equal to putting your arms in the air on a rollercoaster. I know when I conquered Kenga-ka last summer, I did it with my arms in the air and I was terrified...I felt bad for the tough guys who hung on tight and got off to say "that wasnt scary but my back hurts." The Blair Witch Projects hype made me feel like a kid again...I wanted to bring that barff bag in with me which were handed out because some people got motion sick from the cameras, something I didnt know at the time. I wanted to think that these three people were murdered by ghosts and chased by dead children. And I wanted to go camping right away after seeing it.

The Blair Witch Project is a classic in the genre for giving me the willies and making me fall in love with the genre all over again...it was a refreshing turn from the teenage slasher films and the supernatural twist ending/mystery Sixth Sense duplicates that followed 1999. The hype made me see it the opening weekend and I loved it...however, its the kind of magic that cant be pulled off twice.

Rating: 9.0
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.