Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Colour Haze - Co2 (2002)
Metal Area - Extreme Music Portal > Releases Area / Релизы > New Releases > Unformat R:
StabWound

*Artist: Colour Haze
*Album: Co2
*Year: 2002
*Genre: Krautrock/Psychedelic/Stoner
*Format: mp3@CBR320kbps
*Size: 95MB

Tracklist:
1. Get It On................4:07
2. Shine.....................7:26
3. All Right.................3:56
4. Motormind..............6:48
5. Inside....................7:26
6. CO2.....................11:04
Total playing time: 40:47

Extended info

Credits:
Producer - Stefan Koglek
Recorded By, Mixed By - Tim Höfer

The Following two (2) CD-ROM pics are not for "proof" of CD-RiP, this is not my RiP, just my upload. The pics are simply for illustrative purposes only..... cause dey look kool.. ffs.. ok

Review, taken from (http://www.guypetersreviews.com/colourhaze.php):

Colour Haze is a German stoner/psych/retro/acid band that’s been around for more than a decade by now and they understand the art of silent revolution. Even though they’re from a country that’s not exactly a hotbed of stoner-oriented bands (not that I know of, anyway, so correct me if I’m wrong), they’ve gained quite a reputation as one of the most dependable European acts in the genre, a unit of extremely capable musicians who manage to merge all of their influences into a unique mould that can be quite a sonic experience.

Unfortunately, their releases suffer from something that’s very common among like-minded bands: their massive wall of sound doesn’t translate that well onto a shiny disc (with especially the drums lacking the live force). When I saw them perform in good old Belgium a while ago, they dragged in so much gear that I initially thought they were a five-piece band. Obviously obsessed by sound and equipment, the band next delivered a set that was pure aural bliss, with warm, buzzing guitar tones, led-heavy bass parts and drumming that alternated between understated grooving and all-over-the-place rumbling.

I called ‘em “stoner” for clarity’s sake, but the trio (Stefan Koglek - guitar, vocals; Philip Rasthofer – bass; Manfred Merwald - drums) alternately recalls sludgy acid rock, lumbering doom-laden Sabbath and far-out psychedelica, but also European influences such as Can and Tangerine Dream, which often gives their music a droning, nearly mantra-like Eastern vibe. It makes their brand of heaviness much more cerebral (less instantaneously ‘catchy’) than that of their contemporary brethren, but this refusal (or inability) to offer transparent ideas also makes them a damn intriguing band that demands your unconditional attention.

If you’re in it for clearly structured, concise pop songs, you’re checking out the wrong band (the 40-minute CO2 contains a mere six songs), because these guys are capable of unleashing monstrous 20-minute epics that suggest, tease, pull back, suddenly bludgeon and trample you, and slowly fade out into more restrained, dream-like territory again. They’re a jam band in the purest sense of the word, a single-minded entity that’s capable of turning in mind-blowing explorations that contain moments of simple beauty and crushing volume.

Koglek may not be the best vocalist around (his range is limited and he hasn’t the more direct approach of, say, John Garcia or Dave Wyndorf), but at least he makes up for this with a wholly unique style that incorporates influences from rock, blues, jazz and even avant-garde, earning him a place near other rock innovators such as Motorpsycho (who he undoubtedly likes). Like any other superb musician, he also realizes that simplicity often offers the best ideas, witness the simple, infectious riff that propels album opener “Get It On,” a whirling, repetitive drone wrapped up in an accessible format.

The other tracks are a bit less straightforward: “Shine” and “Motormind” find them exploring bludgeoning doom-styled riffs that go well together (despite the contrast) with Koglek’s usually smooth singing style. My personal favorite, though, is “Inside,” a song in which they used a simple key melody to great effect while creating a sonic ebb and flow that’s as seamless as could be (and there’s even a Beatles-reference you can’t miss).

“CO,” finally, is the kind of track that works even a lot better on stage: an 11-minute marathon featuring some frantic solos, concrete riffs and a rhythm section that progresses with the force of a thunderstorm. Like I said before, the band didn’t exactly capture it’s awesome live force on tape, but CO2 already goes a long way at showing you why this band – despite their lack of mainstream success – is becoming more and more respected among those who dig heavy retro-rock with a psychedelic edge. If that sounds like something you might like as well, don’t hesitate to check this band out.

You can support and preview this amazing band here:
http://www.colourhaze.de/

[ Hidden Text ]
Moldavite
[ Hidden Text ]
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.