Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Sergey Starostin - Looking At Luki (2009)
Metal Area - Extreme Music Portal > Releases Area / Релизы > New Releases > Unformat R:
StabWound

*Artist: Sergey Starostin
*Album: Looking At Luki
*Year: 2009
*Genre: Dark Folk/Jazz Fusion/Avant Garde/Traditional
*Format: mp3@CBR320kbps
*Size: 55MB

Tracklist:
01-Uzh ya dumala [08:54]
02-Pan [02:28]
03-Praskoveya [06:50]
04-Dozhd [01:25]
05-Gore, gore mne [06:14]
06-Troyka [06:52]
07-Zakatilos krasno solntse [02:45]
08-Kogra uidu, ne vzdrognut gory [08:20]

:-English Translation of Song titles;
1. As I Thought
2. Pan
3. Praskovea
4. Rain
5. Woe unto Me
6. Troika
7. The Red Sun is Down
8. The Mountains Won’t Tremble when I’m Gone
Total playing time: 43:48

Extended info
Alternative title for this release:

"Sergey Starostin - Vladimir Volkov - Svyatoslav Kurashov ; Hozhdenie Po Lukam"

---

Recorded in the town of Velikie Luki, Russia

1. As I Thought
(traditional lyrics, Sergei Starostin’s version of a traditional Russian melody, arrangement by the trio)
2. Pan
(music by the trio)
3. Praskovea
(traditional lyrics, Sergei Starostin’s version of a traditional Russian melody, arrangement by the trio)
4. Rain
(music by the trio)
5. Woe unto Me
(traditional lyrics, Sergei Starostin’s version of a traditional song of Tver region, arrangement by the trio)
6. Troika
(music by the trio)
7. The Red Sun is Down
a field recording of a traditional song of Tver region is used (from Sergey Starostin’s personal archive)
8. The Mountains Won’t Tremble when I’m Gone
(lyrics and music by Sergey Starostin, arrangement by the trio)

----

Vladimir Volkov – double-bass (1, 3, 5, 6, 7, 8), drum (4), glass bottles (2)

Slava Kurashov – guitar (1, 3, 5, 6, 7, 8), drum (1, 4)

Sergey Starostin – voice (1,3, 5, 8), clarinet (3), reed pipe (5, 6), drum (4), glass bottles (2)

----

Sergey Starostin - without any doubt THE most famous Russian folk- and world music musician. He has more than 10 albums recorded with folk groups, jazz combos, rock musicians. Nominee for the prestigious BBC World Music Award in 2003.

Sergey Starostin was born in a musical Muscovite family: his father was a good singer while his grandmother introduced him to Russian folk tales and songs. He sang in a boy's choir before studying clarinet at the Moscow Conservatory.

Sergey's interest in folk tales and folk music kept growing even while he was studying classical music and whenever he travelled around the then Soviet Union he would collect stories, songs and traditional instruments (some of which have changed little since medieval times). He now divides his time between presenting seminars, radio and TV programmes on Russian folk music and making music.

Starostin is not just a gifted musician and musicologist, he actively seeks out and works with musicians who share his passion for exploring the tradition sounds of the tundra. Across the last twenty five years he has been involved in countless projects. In Russia Starostin is best known for folk-rock fusion outfit Farlanders, a band he leads with rock singer Inna Zelanaya.

Internationally he is best known as one third of Moscow Art Trio. In 1990 composer/pianist Mikhail Alperin, horn player Arkady Shilkloper and Starostin formed the Trio. They have toured their unique blend of classical and Russian folk traditions widely. Alperin became Professor of Piano at the Oslo Music Conservatory in the early '90s and set about directing a striking vocal project: he brought together Angelite, a four woman Bulgarian vocal choir, and Huun Hur-Tu, the striking throat singers from the Southern Siberian region of Tuva. Adding Sergei Starostin was the master touch and their CD The Bulgarian Voices – Fly Fly My Sadness comes highly recommended.

While in Scandinavia Starostin encountered noted Lapp vocalist Mari Boine and sang on her album Winter In Moscow (Jaro). His most high profile UK work so far has been at the 1999 Edinburgh Arts Festival. Here Starostin reunited with the Bulgarian women and the resulting album, Serey Starostin’s Vocal Family – Journey (Jaro), was recorded live at Grey Friars Kirk in Edinburgh. Eerie and moving, Journey demonstrates how the five vocalists managed to blend Bulgarian and Russian traditions through interpreting folk songs.

'Because Russia is so vast the styles of singing vary enormously,' says Starostin with obvious satisfaction, for he will never tire of new partners to work with.

=======================

Vladimir Volkov, one of the leading free-jazz-musicians of Europe, is a music phenomenon surpassing different genres and styles. The musicians of his Volkovtrio combine avantgarde, improvised music with traditional folklore roots in a very creative way.

They played on many international stages and won several international awards. Vladimir Volkov also played in "Collegium Europe", run by Wieland Kuyken, "The Moscow Composers Orchestra" and in the Cross Culture Project "Vershki da Koreshki" (VeDaKi) with musicians from Senegal and Tuva.

He also worked with Anatoly Vapirov, Petras Vysniauskas, Tomasz Stanko, Ernst Reijseger, Kenny Wheeler, Bobo Stenson, Ned Rothenberg, Klaus Kugel, Michael Moore and Kaigal-ool Khovalyg (Huun Huur Tu). In 1998 he played in the project Black Sea with Izmailov, Tavitian, Vapirov and Yankoulov which was especially organized for the Leipzig Jazz Festival.

Since then he has played with Arkady Shilkloper and Sergey Starostin of Moscow Art Trio and with Sainkho Namchylak and Vladimir Tarasov. In 1999 he has toured with his band "Vershki da Koreshki" and the Norwegian singer Mari Boine thoughout Europe.

=======================

Svyatoslav (Slava) Kurashov - a member of Volkovtrio - is one of the most popular composers and guitar players of Russia these days. He worked with Sergei Kuriokhin, Vyacheslav Guyvoronsky, Arkady Shilkloper. Composed music scores to more than 20 films.

More info:
v3o

=======================

+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

This recording is absolutely BRILLIANT!!!!!!

Few releases have the capacity to blow me away, but let me tell you, this is pure gold!

The range of emotion and the way it flows, almost spiritually, through dimensions if you like, is stunning.

Don't miss out on listening to this masterpiece of folk music.

On a different note I found the literal translation of song number 5 hilarious... lolol

[ Hidden Text ]
Yarri
Thank you. 9.gif
Searcher
StabWound, Traditional what?
Yarri
Searcher,
Traditional [influence]?
Deroth
Интересное сочетание жанров,еще и "трад" тоже привлек внимание в этом коктейле.
StabWound
QUOTE(Searcher @ Jun 24 2009, 20:22:50) *
StabWound, Traditional what?

Both in influence of styles and passages within these songs feature traditional arrangements, featuring some traditional instruments. Please read the text inside the extended info.

The reed-pipe instrument originates from China it was called the "Sheng".  Based on studies of graphs in oracle-bone script, the instrument came into being during the Shang dynasty (ca 1500-1050 BC). It is one of the oldest wind instruments known in the world and the only polyphonic Chinese wind instrument. 

The "Sheng" was introduced to Europe in the 17th century and is believed to have influenced the development of the accordion and mouth organs. In this recording a "Sheng" is NOT used but a "reed-pipe" of European (I think) design is used.

Other traditional instrument is Glass Bottles as they may one of mankinds oldest traditional instruments.

Sergey Starostin's life story is pretty much an experiment of traditional and mordern fusion.

>.<
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.